Definition of bob:
- A short jerking motion or action; a slight blow; anything which swings with a bob; a pendant; an ear- ring; the ball of a pendulum; a knot of worms, at the end of a line, used in catching eels; a bob- wig; a shilling.
- To move with a short jerking motion; to cut short; to cheat.
- To play backward and forward; to angle with a bob. Among bell- ringers, a peal of several courses, or sets of changes.
Bob as a boy's name is pronounced bob. It is of Old English origin. Short form of Robert, of later coinage than Hob, Dob, and Nob. Bobbie and Bobby are pet forms, though Bobbie is more frequently used for girls. While Bobby was common for children in the 1950s and '60s, Robert today is more likely to be shortened to Robbie or Rob instead of the pedestrian Bob. Comedian Bob Hope; singer Bob Dylan; chess master Dob Fischer; actor Billy Bob Thornton.
- Pope, Bibi, Beebe, Bubba, Pip.
- Bobby, Bobbee, Bobbey, Bobbie.
Google Ngram Viewer results for bob:
This graph shows how "bob" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for bob:
Quotes for bob:
Rhymes for bob:
Idioms for bob:
- How to spell bob?
- Correct spelling of bob.
- Spell check bob.
- How do u spell bob?