Definition of bittersweet:
- twining shrub of North America having three- valved yellow capsules enclosing scarlet seeds
- having a taste that is a mixture of bitterness and sweetness
- poisonous perennial Old World vine having violet flowers and oval coral- red berries; widespread weed in North America
- tinged with sadness; " a movie with a bittersweet ending"
- Sweet and then bitter or bitter and then sweet; esp. sweet with a bitter after taste; hence ( Fig.), pleasant but painful.
- Anything which is bittersweet.
- A kind of apple so called.
- A climbing shrub, with oval coral- red berries ( Solanum dulcamara); woody nightshade. The whole plant is poisonous, and has a taste at first sweetish and then bitter. The branches are the officinal dulcamara.
- An American woody climber ( Celastrus scandens), whose yellow capsules open late in autumn, and disclose the red aril which covers the seeds; - also called Roxbury waxwork.
Common misspellings for bittersweet:
- bitterweet (30%)
- bitersweet (30%)
- bittersweetness (20%)
- bettersweet (20%)