Definition of circumference:
- the length of the closed curve of a circle
- the size of something as given by the distance around it
- The line that goes round or encompasses a circular figure; a periphery.
- A circle; anything circular.
- The external surface of a sphere, or of any orbicular body.
- To include in a circular space; to bound.
Common misspellings for circumference:
- circumfrence (41%)
- circumfrance (19%)
- circumferance (13%)
- circuference (2%)
Examples of usage for circumference:
This city, then the metropolis of Manji, was in the height of its glory, and may well be supposed to have surpassed in grandeur any city which Polo had seen; and if he is to be charged with exaggeration in describing it as one hundred miles in circumference, and to have contained one million six hundred thousand houses, and twelve thousand bridges, it must be remembered that its really immense extent was calculated to mislead the judgment of an observer, and to make him credulous of the accounts of the inhabitants.