Definition of prescription:
- 1. A written formula for the preparation and administration of any remedy. 2. A medicinal preparation compounded according to the directions formulated in a prescription ( 1). In the classical description of a prescription it is said to consist of four parts: ( 1) the superscription, consisting of the word recipe, take, or its sign, R; ( 2) the inscription, or main part of the p., containing the names and amounts of the drugs ordered; ( 3) the subscription, or directions for mixing the ingredients and designation of the form ( pill, powder, solution, etc.) in which the drug is to be made; this usually begins with the word, misce, mix, or its abbreviation M.; ard finally the signature, or directions to the patient regarding the dose and times of taking the remedy; this is preceded by the word signa, designate, or its abbreviation S.
- The act of prescribing or directing by rules; that which is prescribed; a recipe; the claim or title to a thing by virtue of long use.
Common misspellings for prescription:
- perscription (53%)
- presciption (9%)
- precription (7%)
- prescrition (5%)
- prescribtion (2%)
Google Ngram Viewer results for prescription:
This graph shows how "prescription" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for prescription:
Quotes for prescription:
I opposed No Child Left Behind, I opposed the Medicare prescription drug bill, I opposed the Wall Street bailout. What the American people are starting to see is that Republican, Republicans on Capitol Hill get it and the Democrats, from the White House to Capitol Hill, just don't get it. - Mike Pence
You may not be able to read a doctor's handwriting and prescription, but you'll notice his bills are neatly typewritten. - Earl Wilson
Rhymes for prescription:
Idioms for prescription:
refill a prescription
- How to spell prescription?
- Correct spelling of prescription.
- Spell check prescription.
- How do u spell prescription?