Definition of sponge:
- 1. The fibrous skeleton of an aquatic organism from which all cellular matter has been removed; employed in surgery for mopping away blood and other fluids during an operation; now usually replaced by 2. Any absorbent material, such as gauze or prepared cotton, used in lieu of a sponge in surgical operations. 3 Any material having a sponge like texture, such as iron sponge, used in the purification of water.
- A porous substance of animal formation found adhering to rocks, & c., in water, remarkable for its imbibing properties; an instrument for cleaning cannon after a discharge; the extremity or point of a horse- shoe; a sponger; something like a sponge, as a mass of bread pulp under fermeutation.
- To wipe with a sponge; to wipe out or cleanse with a sponge; to wipe out completely.
- To suck in, as a sponge; to hang on others for maintenance.
Common misspellings for sponge:
Google Ngram Viewer results for sponge:
This graph shows how "sponge" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for sponge:
Quotes for sponge:
A sponge sees everything? A sponge sees nothing. - Lawrence Tierney
- How to spell sponge?
- Correct spelling of sponge.
- Spell check sponge.
- How do u spell sponge?