Definition of grain:
- 1. Cereal plants, corn wheat, rye, etc. 2. A seed of one of the cereal plants. 3. A minute, hard particle of any substance, as of sand. 4. A unit of weight, 1/ 60 dram, 1/ 480 ounce, 1/ 5760 pound; the equivalent of 0. 066 gram.
- Any small hard mass; a single hard seed of a plant, particularly of those kinds whose seeds are used for food; corn collectively, as wheat, rye, barley, oats, and maize; a minute particle; the smallest weight ordinarily used, being the twentieth part of the scruple in apothecaries weight, and the twenty- fourth of a pennyweight troy; a very small quantity; the veins or fibres of wood or other fibrous substances; the body or substance of wood as modified by the fibres; texture; state of the grit of any body composed of grains; the dye made from cochineal insects; the heart and temper.
- To paint in imitation of the grain or fibres of wood; to from into grains, as powder. A grain of allowance, a small allowance or indulgence. To dye in grain, to dye in the raw material. Grain- colours, the dyes made from cochineal.
Google Ngram Viewer results for grain:
This graph shows how "grain" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for grain:
Quotes for grain:
Rhymes for grain:
- abstain, again, alain, alaine, alane, alayne, allain, amain.
- aine, arcane, arraign, attain, ayn, bahrain, bain, bane, bayne, biscayne, blain, blaine, blane, blayne, brain, butane, cain, caine, campaign, cane, chain, champagne, champaign, champlain, charlayne, charmain, charmaine, cheyne, cocaine, complain, constrain, contain, crain, craine, crane, crayne, dain, dane, dayne, deign, delaine, demain, detain, devane, dewayne, disdain, domain, drain, draine, duan, duane, duquesne, duwayne, dwayne, elaine, elane, elayne, explain, fain, fane, feign, fein, fontaine, fraine, frane, frayn, frayne, freyne, gain, germain, germaine, germane, hain, hane, heyne, humane, hussain, hussein, iain, inane, ingrain, insane, jain, jane, jayne, jermaine, kahane, kain, kaine, kane, kayne, lain, laine, lane, laraine, layne, ln, lorain, loraine, lorraine, maclean, main, maine, maintain, mane, mayne, mccain, mcclain, mclean, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, pain, paine, pane, payne, pertain, plain, plane, preordain, profane, rain, raine, rayne, refrain, regain, reign, rein, reine, remain, restrain, retain, retrain, rogaine, romain, romaine, sain, sane, shaine, shane, shayne, slain, slane, spain, spokane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, swaine, swayne, sylvain, terrain, thaine, thane, thayne, train, trane, tremaine, twain, ukraine, urbain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, wain, wane, wayne, zane.
- aquitaine, ascertain, entertain, inhumane.
Idioms for grain:
- How to spell grain?
- Correct spelling of grain.
- Spell check grain.
- How do u spell grain?