Definition of severe:
Common misspellings for severe:
- servere (38%)
- sevear (13%)
- severve (7%)
- savere (4%)
- sevre (4%)
- sivere (3%)
- seveer (2%)
Google Ngram Viewer results for severe:
This graph shows how "severe" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for severe:
That is severe which is devoid of all softness, mildness, tenderness, indulgence or levity, or ( in literature and art) devoid of unnecessary ornament, amplification, or embellishment of any kind; as, a severe style; as said of anything painful, severe signifies such as heavily taxes endurance or resisting power; as, a severe pain, fever, or winter. Rigid signifies primarily stiff, resisting any effort to change its shape; a corpse is said to be rigid in death; hence, in metaphorical sense, a rigid person or character is one that resists all efforts to change the will or course of conduct; a rigid rule or statement is one that admits of no deviation. Rigorous is nearly akin to rigid, but is a stronger word, having reference to action or active qualities, as rigid does to state or character; a rigid rule may be rigorously enforced. Strict ( L. stringo, bind) signifies bound or stretched tight, tense, strenuously exact. Stern unites harshness and authority with strictness or severity; stern, as said even of inanimate objects, suggests something authoritative or forbidding. Austere signifies severely simple or temperate, strict in self- restraint or discipline, and similarly unrelenting toward others. We speak of austere morality, rigid rules, rigorous discipline, stern commands, severe punishment, harsh speech or a harsh voice, hard requirements, strict injunctions, and strict obedience. Strict discipline holds one exactly and unflinchingly to the rule; rigorous discipline punishes severely any infraction of it. The austere character is seldom lovely, but it is always strong and may be grand, commanding, and estimable.
Quotes for severe:
By concentrating on what is good in people, by appealing to their idealism and their sense of justice, and by asking them to put their faith in the future, socialists put themselves at a severe disadvantage. - Ian Mcewan
Rhymes for severe:
- adhere, amir, appear, austere, career, cashier, dornier, emir, frontier, inhere, lanier, lazear, premier, premiere, rainier, rehear, revere, sameer, samir, shamir, sincere, unclear, veneer, vizier, wazir, yasir, zahir, zaire.
- auctioneer, bandolier, belvedere, bombardier, brigadier, cavalier, chandelier, charpentier, chevalier, commandeer, disappear, domineer, engineer, financier, gondolier, insincere, interfere, mutineer, overhear, pamphleteer, persevere, pioneer, profiteer, racketeer, reappear, rensselaer, souvenir, volunteer.
- beer, bere, blear, cheer, clear, cleere, cyr, dear, deer, deere, ear, fear, fier, fleer, frere, gear, geer, gere, gier, greer, hear, here, jeer, kear, kier, lear, leer, mear, meir, mere, mir, near, neer, nir, peer, pier, rear, sear, sere, shear, sheer, shere, smear, sneer, spear, speer, speir, sphere, stear, steer, tear, teer, veer, vere, we're, wier, year.
- conventioneer, electioneer, reengineer.
- How to spell severe?
- Correct spelling of severe.
- Spell check severe.
- How do u spell severe?