Definition of load:
- That which is laid on or put in anything for conveyance; a burden; weight; a cargo or freight; as much as can be carried at once; that which is borne with pain or difficulty; anything oppressive or depressing; violence; the quantity of nine dishes of ore, each dish being about 1/ 2 cwt.
- To lay a burden on; to lay on as much as can be carried; to lay on or lade too much; to oppress; to embarrass; to encumber; to make heavy by something added; to charge a gun.
Common misspellings for load:
Google Ngram Viewer results for load:
This graph shows how "load" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for load:
A burden ( from the Anglo- Saxon byrthen, from the verb beran, bear) is what one has to bear, and the word is used always of that which is borne by a living agent. A load ( from the Anglo- Saxon l 257; d, a way, course, carrying, or carriage) is what is laid upon a person, animal, or vehicle for conveyance, or what is customarily so imposed; as, a two- horse load. Weight measures the pressure due to gravity; the same weight that one finds a moderate load when in his full strength becomes a heavy burden in weariness or weakness. A ship's load is called distinctively a cargo, or it may be known as freight or lading. Freight denotes merchandise in or for transportation and is used largely of transportation or of merchandise transported by rail, which is, in commercial language, said to be " shipped." A load to be fastened upon a horse or mule is called a pack, and the animal is known as a pack- horse or pack- mule.
Quotes for load:
Rhymes for load:
- abode, bestowed, bestrode, busload, commode, corrode, decode, encode, erode, explode, forebode, implode, outmode, plateaued, reload, unbowed, unload.
- bode, bowed, coad, code, coed, crowed, flowed, glowed, goad, lode, moad, mode, mowed, node, ode, owed, rhode, road, rode, roed, rowed, sewed, showed, slowed, snowed, sowed, stowed, strode, toad, toed, towed.
- overflowed, overrode.
Idioms for load:
- How to spell load?
- Correct spelling of load.
- Spell check load.
- How do u spell load?