Definition of sign:
- 1. A symptom, especially a phenomenon, already present or produced by some maneuver, indicating a certain disease or morbid state. 2. An abbreviation or symbol. 3. Signature ( 3).
- That by which anything is shown, indicated or represented; a token; nod or gesture indicative of a wish or command; a wonder; a miracle; evidence or proof; something hung out for notice; a memorial; a visible representation; a mark of distinction; a symbol; a constellation in the zodiac; a mark indicative of operation; a signature; a symptom; a character.
- To mark with characters or one's name; to subscribe; to signify; to mark.
Common misspellings for sign:
signd, sigen, sgn, sige, sighns, signange, signt, ign, signe, sained, isgn, intital, habd, sigsn, sigm, sgin, sighne, sighn, suign, signam, sinu, signa, sugn, sogn, sign, signiature, usign, ssign, sisn, sghin, sig, singn, sind, sinage, sigin, sigtn, sihn, saign.
Google Ngram Viewer results for sign:
Examples of usage for sign:
A sign ( L. signum) is any distinctive mark by which a thing may be recognized or its presence known, and may be intentional or accidental, natural or artificial, suggestive, descriptive, or wholly arbitrary; thus, a blush may be a sign of shame; the footprint of an animal is a sign that it has passed; the sign of a business house now usually declares what is done or kept within, but formerly might be an object having no connection with the business, as " the sign of the trout;" the letters of the alphabet are signs of certain sounds. While a sign may be involuntary, and even unconscious, a signal is always voluntary, and is usually concerted; a ship may show signs of distress to the casual observer, but signals of distress are a distinct appeal for aid. A symptom is a vital phenomenon resulting from a diseased condition; in medical language a sign is an indication of any physical condition, whether morbid or healthy; thus, a hot skin and rapid pulse are symptoms of pneumonia; dulness of some portion of the lungs under percussion is one of the physical signs. Compare AUGUR; CHARACTERISTIC; EMBLEM.
Quotes for sign:
Rhymes for sign:
- align, aline, assign, benign, combine, confine, consign, decline, define, design, devine, divine, enshrine, entwine, incline, malign, opine, refine, repine, resign, supine.
- brine, cline, dine, dyne, ein, fein, fine, gyn, hein, heine, hine, huynh, jain, klein, kline, line, lyne, mine, nine, pine, pyne, quine, rhein, rhine, rine, shine, shrine, sine, spine, spline, stein, stine, strine, swine, thein, thine, tine, trine, twine, tyne, vine, whine, wine, zine.
- disincline, intertwine, leontine, realign, reassign, recombine, redefine, redesign.
Idioms for sign:
- How to spell sign?
- Correct spelling of sign.
- Spell check sign.
- How do u spell sign?