Definition of thermometer:
- An instrument for indicating the temperature of any substance. The ordinary thermometer is a sealed vacuum tube, expanded into a bulb at its lower extremity, and containing mercury; the latter expands with heat and contracts with cold, its level accordingly rising or falling in the tube, the exact degree of variation of level being indicated by a scale etched on the glass of the tube or marked on the frame which holds the tube. For measuring extreme degrees of cold, a thermometer filled with alcohol instead of mercury is used ( spirit thermometer). High temperatures are measured by means of a vessel containing dry air or gas ( air or gas thermometer), the expansion or increased pressure of which indicates the degree of heat. For measuring excessive heat, such as that of a furnace or pottery kiln, a special form of thermometer, in the shape of a metallic bar or other contrivance is used; this is termed a pyrometer.
- An instrument for measuring variations of temperature founded on the readiness and uniformity with which certain substances, especially mercury, expand or contract under an accession or diminution of heat.
Common misspellings for thermometer:
thermometor, thermometor, thremometer, thremometer, themometre, thermonoter, theremomter, themometer, themometer, themometor, thermontor, thermontor, themonmetor, themomertor, therometer, therometer, termomether, thermometre, thermometre, thermonmeter, thermonmeter, theproject, theproject, thermonitor, thermomenter, thermomenter, thermonter, thermomerter, theometer, theometer, themoneter, themoneter, theremometer, thermoeter, thermoeter, thermoeter, themomenter, thermomoter, thermoter, thermoneter, thermomiter, themonator, themonator, thermonater, thermonater, thermomater, thermomether, thermomether, thermomitor, termametor, termametor, themomiter, termometer, termometer, thermomator, thermomneter, theromometer, thermeter, thermomter.
Google Ngram Viewer results for thermometer:
Examples of usage for thermometer:
Quotes for thermometer:
Rhymes for thermometer:
- How to spell thermometer?
- Correct spelling of thermometer.
- Spell check thermometer.
- How do u spell thermometer?