Definition of abbreviation:
- a shortened form of a word or phrase
- shortening something by omitting parts of it
- The act of shortening, or reducing.
- The result of abbreviating; an abridgment.
- The form to which a word or phrase is reduced by contraction and omission; a letter or letters, standing for a word or phrase of which they are a part; as, Gen. for Genesis; U. S. A. for United States of America.
- One dash, or more, through the stem of a note, dividing it respectively into quavers, semiquavers, or demi- semiquavers.
Common misspellings for abbreviation:
- abreviation (37%)
- abbrevation (10%)
- abbriviation (10%)
- abriviation (8%)
- abrevation (7%)
- abreveation (4%)
- abrieviation (4%)
- abbrivation (4%)
- abrivation (3%)
Examples of usage for abbreviation:
We wondered where he lived, what his age was, and how he looked, it was not until quite late in boyhood that we learned that Anon was an abbreviation for anonymous, and that he was sometimes the best saint and at other times the most extraordinary villain. "Around The Tea-Table" , T. De Witt Talmage.