Definition of imagination:
Common misspellings for imagination:
- immagination (12%)
- imagaination (8%)
- imagiantion (8%)
- imagenation (7%)
- imaganation (5%)
- imgination (5%)
- imagintion (4%)
- emagination (3%)
- imagnation (3%)
- imigination (3%)
Examples of usage for imagination:
The old psychology treated of the Reproductive Imagination, which simply reproduces the images that the mind has in any way acquired, and the Productive Imagination which modifies and combines mental images so as to produce what is virtually new. To this Reproductive Imagination President Noah Porter and others have given the name of phantasy or fantasy ( many psychologists preferring the former spelling). Phantasy or fantasy, so understood, presents numerous and varied images, often combining them into new forms with exceeding vividness, yet without any true constructive power, but with the mind adrift, blindly and passively following the laws of association, and with reason and will in torpor; the mental images being perhaps as varied and as vivid, but also as purposeless and unsystematized as the visual images in a kaleidoscope; such fantasy ( often loosely called imagination) appears in dreaming, reverie, somnambulism, and intoxication. Fantasy in ordinary usage simply denotes capricious or erratic fancy, as appears in the adjective fantastic. Imagination and fancy differ from fantasy in bringing the images and their combinations under the control of the will; imagination is the broader and higher term, including fancy; imagination is the act or power of imaging or of reimaging objects of perception or thought, of combining the products of knowledge in modified, new, or ideal forms 8212; the creative or constructive power of the mind; while fancy is the act or power of forming pleasing, graceful, whimsical, or odd mental images, or of combining them with little regard to rational processes of construction; imagination in its lower form. Both fancy and imagination recombine and modify mental images; either may work with the other's materials; imagination may glorify the tiniest flower; fancy may play around a mountain or a star; the one great distinction between them is that fancy is superficial, while imagination is deep, essential, spiritual. Wordsworth, who was the first clearly to draw the distinction between the fancy and the imagination, states it as follows:
Quotes for imagination:
Rhymes for imagination:
- abbreviation, abomination, acceleration, accommodation, accreditation.
- abdication, aberration, abrogation, acclimation, accusation, activation.
- accumulation, adaptation, adjudication, admiration, adoration, adulation, advocation, affectation, affiliation, affirmation, affrication, agglomeration, aggravation, agitation, alienation, allegation, alleviation, allocation, alteration, altercation, amalgamation, amelioration, amortization, amplification, amputation, animation, annexation, annihilation, annotation, anticipation, appalachian, appellation, application, appreciation, approbation, appropriation, approximation, arbitration, argumentation, articulation, aspiration, assassination, assimilation, association, augmentation, authentication, authorization, automation, aviation, avocation, backwardation, balkanization, bifurcation, calculation, calibration, cancellation, capitulation, categorization, celebration, centralization, certification, characterization, christianization, civilization, clarification, classification, coagulation, codification, cogitation, cohabitation, collaboration, collectivization, colonization, coloration, combination, commemoration, commendation, commercialization, communication, communization, compensation, compilation, complication, computation, computerization, concatenation, concentration, conciliation, condemnation, condensation, confabulation, confederation, configuration, confirmation, confiscation, conflagration, confrontation, conglomeration, congratulation, congregation, conjugation, connotation, consecration, conservation, consideration, consolation, consolidation, constellation, consternation, constipation, consultation, consummation, contamination, contemplation, continuation, conversation, convocation, cooperation, coordination, coronation, corp, corporation, correlation, corroboration, creation, cremation, criminalization, croatian, crustacean, culmination, cultivation, dalmatian, damnation, decapitation, deceleration, decentralization, decertification, declaration, decontamination, decoration, dedication, defamation, deflation, deforestation, deformation, degeneration, degradation, dehumanization, dehydration, deification, delegation, deliberation, delineation, demarcation, demobilization, democratization, demodulation, demonization, demonstration, demoralization, denationalization, denomination, denunciation, depopulation, deportation, depravation, depreciation, depredation, deprivation, deregulation, derivation, desalination, desalinization, desecration, desegregation, desiccation, designation, desolation, desperation, destabilization, destination, determination, detonation, detoxification, devaluation, devastation, deviation, dictation, differentiation, dilatation, dilation, discoloration, discontinuation, discrimination, disembarkation, disinclination, disinflation, disinformation, disintegration, dislocation, disorganization, disorientation, dispensation, disputation, disqualification, dissemination, dissertation, dissipation, dissociation, distillation, diversification, divination, documentation, domestication, domination, donation, dramatization, duplication, duration, echolocation, edification, education, ejaculation, elaboration, elation, electrification, elevation, elimination, elongation, emanation, emancipation, embarkation, emigration, emulation, enumeration, equalization, equitation, equivocation, eradication, escalation, estimation, evacuation, evaluation, evaporation, evocation, exacerbation, exaggeration, examination, exasperation, excavation, excitation, exclamation, excommunication, exfoliation, exhalation, exhilaration, exhortation, exhumation, exoneration, expatriation, expectation, experimentation, expiration, explanation, explication, exploitation, exploration, expropriation, extermination, extrapolation, fabrication, facilitation, falsification, fascination, federation, fermentation, fertilization, fibrillation, figuration, filtration, fixation, flirtation, flotation, fluctuation, fluoridation, foliation, formation, formulation, fortification, foundation, fragmentation, frustration, fumigation, gasification, gastrulation, generalization, generation, gentrification, germination, gestation, glaciation, globalization, glorification, gradation, graduation, granulation, gratification, gravitation, gyration, habitation, hallucination, harmonization, hesitation, hibernation, horatian, hospitalization, humiliation, hybridization, hydration, hydrogenation, hyperinflation, identification, illumination, illustration, imitation, immigration, immunization, impersonation, implantation, implementation, implication, importation, impregnation, improvisation, imputation, inactivation, inauguration, incantation, incapacitation, incarceration, incarnation, inclination, incoordination, incorporation, incrimination, incrustation, incubation, indemnification, indentation, indexation, indication, indignation, indoctrination, industrialization, infatuation, infestation, infiltration, inflammation, inflation, information, inhabitation, inhalation, initiation, innovation, inoculation, insemination, insinuation, inspiration, installation, instigation, instrumentation, insubordination, insulation, integration, intensification, interpretation, interrogation, intimation, intimidation, intonation, intoxication, inundation, invalidation, investigation, invitation, invocation, ionization, irradiation, irrigation, irritation, isolation, jubilation, justification, laceration, lactation, legalization, legislation, levitation, liberalization, liberation, libration, ligation, limitation, liquidation, litigation, localization, location, lubrication, machination, magnetization, magnification, malformation, manifestation, manipulation, marginalization, masturbation, maturation, maximization, mechanization, mediation, medication, meditation, menstruation, migration, mineralization, miniaturization, ministration, misapplication, misappropriation, miscalculation, miscommunication, miscreation, miseration, misidentification, misinformation, misinterpretation, misrepresentation, mitigation, mobilization, moderation, modernization, modification, modulation, molestation, monopolization, motivation, multiplication, mummification, mutation, mutilation, narration, nationalization, naturalization, navigation, negation, negotiation, neutralization, nitration, nomination, nondiscrimination, nonproliferation, normalization, notation, notification, nucleation, nullification, obfuscation, obligation, observation, occupation, operation, optation, optimization, oration, orchestration, ordination, organisation, organization, orientation, origination, ornamentation, oscillation, ossification, ostentation, ovation, overpopulation, overvaluation, ovulation, oxidation, pacification, pagination, palpitation, participation, pasteurization, perforation, permutation, perpetuation, personalization, personification, perspiration, perturbation, pigmentation, plantation, polarization, politicization, pollination, pontification, popularization, population, precipitation, predestination, prefabrication, premeditation, preoccupation, preparation, presentation, preservation, pressurization, privation, privatisation, privatization, probation, proclamation, procrastination, procreation, profanation, prognostication, proliferation, pronunciation, propagation, proration, prostration, protestation, provocation, publication, punctuation, purification, qualification, quantification, quotation, radiation, ramification, ratification, rationalization, reaffiliation, reaffirmation, realization, reallocation, reauthorization, recalculation, recantation, recertification, recitation, reclamation, reclassification, recommendation, reconciliation, reconfiguration, reconfirmation, reconsideration, recreation, recrimination, rectification, recuperation, redecoration, rededication, reevaluation, reexamination, reflation, reforestation, reformation, refrigeration, refutation, regeneration, regimentation, registration, regulation, rehabilitation, rehydration, reincarnation, reinterpretation, reinvigoration, reiteration, rejuvenation, relation, relaxation, relocation, remediation, remuneration, renegotiation, renomination, renovation, renunciation, reorganization, reparation, repatriation, replication, representation, repudiation, reputation, reservation, resignation, respiration, restoration, resuscitation, retaliation, retardation, reunification, revaluation, revelation, reverberation, revitalization, revocation, rotation, rumination, russification, salvation, sanctification, sanitation, saponification, sarmatian, saturation, securitization, sedation, sedimentation, segmentation, segregation, self-congratulation, sensation, separation, sequestration, simplification, simulation, situation, socialization, solicitation, sophistication, specialization, specification, speculation, stabilization, stagflation, stagnation, stalinization, standardization, starvation, sterilization, stimulation, stipulation, strangulation, subluxation, subordination, subsidization, substantiation, suburbanization, suffocation, summation, syndication, tabulation, taxation, telecommunication, temptation, termination, titillation, toleration, transformation, transillumination, translation, transplantation, transportation, trepidation, triangulation, tribulation, undervaluation, unification, unionization, urbanization, usurpation, utilization, vacation, vaccination, vacillation, validation, valuation, vaporization, variation, vegetation, ventilation, verification, vibration, victimization, vilification, vindication, violation, visitation, visualization, vocation, vulgarization, westernization.
- acidification, alphabetization, cannibalization, capitalization.
- alsatian, carnation, castration, causation, cessation, cetacean, citation.
- americanization, antidiscrimination, decriminalization, demilitarization.
- haitian, nation, ration, station.
- institutionalization, internationalization.