Definition of appear:
- present oneself formally, as before a ( judicial) authority; " He had to appear in court last month"; " She appeared on several charges of theft"
- come into sight or view; " He suddenly appeared at the wedding"; " A new star appeared on the horizon"
- come into being or existence, or appear on the scene; " Then the computer came along and changed our lives"; " Homo sapiens appeared millions of years ago"
- appear as a character on stage or appear in a play, etc.; " Gielgud appears briefly in this movie"; " She appeared in ` Hamlet' on the London stage"
- give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect; " She seems to be sleeping"; " This appears to be a very difficult problem"; " This project looks fishy"; " They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
- seem to be true, probable, or apparent; " It seems that he is very gifted"; " It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
- be issued or published; " Did your latest book appear yet?"; " The new Woody Allen film hasn't come out yet"
- To come or be in sight; to be in view; to become visible.
- To come before the public; as, a great writer appeared at that time.
- To stand in presence of some authority, tribunal, or superior person, to answer a charge, plead a cause, or the like; to present one's self as a party or advocate before a court, or as a person to be tried.
- To become visible to the apprehension of the mind; to be known as a subject of observation or comprehension, or as a thing proved; to be obvious or manifest.
- To seem; to have a certain semblance; to look.
Common misspellings for appear:
- apear (59%)
- apper (13%)
- apprear (5%)
- appeare (3%)
- apperar (3%)
- appaer (2%)
Examples of usage for appear:
Appear and look refer to what manifests itself to the senses; to a semblance or probability presented directly to the mind. Seem applies to what is manifest to the mind on reflection. It suddenly appears to me that there is smoke in the distance; as I watch, it looks like a fire; from my knowledge of the locality and observation of particulars, it seems to me a farmhouse must be burning.