Definition of controller:
- someone who maintains and audits business accounts
- a mechanism that controls the operation of a machine; " the speed control on his turntable was not working properly"; " I turned the controls over to her"
- a person who directs and restrains
- One who, or that which, controls or restraines; one who has power or authority to regulate or control; one who governs.
- An officer appointed to keep a counter register of accounts, or to examine, rectify, or verify accounts.
- An iron block, usually bolted to a ship's deck, for controlling the running out of a chain cable. The links of the cable tend to drop into hollows in the block, and thus hold fast until disengaged.
- Any electric device for controlling a circuit or system;
- An electromagnet, excited by the main current, for throwing a regulator magnet into or out of circuit in an automatic device for constant current regulation.
- A kind of multiple switch for gradually admitting the current to, or shutting it off from, an electric motor; as, a car controller for an electric railway car.
- A lever controlling the speed of an engine; - applied esp. to the lever governing a throttle valve, as of a steam or gasoline engine, esp. on an automobile.
Common misspellings for controller:
- controler (76%)
- contoller (9%)
- conroller (2%)
Examples of usage for controller:
The Labour Party demanded that the Irish Food Control Committee should be strengthened and vested with executive powers, no longer remaining subordinate to the London Controller: until this was done, private or unofficial advice or action was merely playing with the question. "The Evolution of Sinn Fein" , Robert Mitchell Henry.