Definition of cope:
- A covering for the head.
- The metal plate covering the root of a tooth to be crowned.
- A hood; a cloak, furnished with a hood and without sleeves, worn by priests on solemn occasions; anything extended over the head, as the arch or concave of the sky, the roof or covering of a house, the arch over a door, & c.; a coping; an ancient tribute due to the lord of the soil out of the leadmines in some parts of Derbyshire.
- To cover as with a cope; to form a cope. See Cap.
- To contend with in equal combat; to match; to encounter; to contend.
Common misspellings for cope:
- copel (17%)
- cowpea (17%)
- cope (17%)
- cp (8%)
- ope (8%)
- bycical (8%)
- coope (8%)
- compe (8%)
- cople (8%)
Cope as a boy's name is of Middle English origin, and the meaning of Cope is "cape". Probably an occupational name referring to the long cape worn by a bishop of the Catholic or Anglican church.
- Cobi, Cobe, Cabe, Capp, Cap, Cobb, Coby, Kobe, Cobie, Cobey, Coop, Cob.
Google Ngram Viewer results for cope:
This graph shows how "cope" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for cope:
Now the young gallant vexed himself to think how Tom had conquered him before his new mistress, so was resolved on speedy revenge, and, knowing he was not able to cope with Tom, he hired two lusty troopers, well mounted, to lie in ambush under a thicket, which Tom was to pass on his way home, and so accordingly they both attempted to set upon him.
He waited, quietly, then, for Ruth to think over his remarks; she had regarded him earnestly while he had been speaking, and, now, sat with her hands folded in her lap for a few minutes before she spoke: Father Felix, she began, at length, Father Felix, I appreciate the reasons that prompted you to come to me and advise me as you have just been doing; I understand that you consider me unfit to cope with the present situation under my circumstances and I wish to inform you that I do not intend to run away from my duty any more than you do.
Quotes for cope:
Rhymes for cope:
- How to spell cope?
- Correct spelling of cope.
- Spell check cope.
- How do u spell cope?