Definition of bear:
- To behave; to conduct.
- A carnivorous animal with long and usually shaggy hair and hooked claws; a rude unmannerly man. Either of two constellations in the northern hemisphere, called the Greater and Lesser Bear. One who contracts to deliver stock, at a certain fixed price, on a specified day, in contradistinction to the bull, or he who contracts to take it; the interest of the former, in the intervening time, being that the stocks should be depressed, as the bear pulls down with its paws, and of the latter that they should rise, as the bull throws upwards with his horns.
- A kind of barley raised in Scotland and the North of England; called also bigg.
- To support; to carry; to wear; to suffer; to endure; to cherish; to admit of; to bring forth or produce; to possess and use, as power; to behave.
- To suffer; to press or to weigh upon; to imply; to take effect; to relate; to be situated as to the point of compass with respect to something else. To bear off, to carry off; to keep from approach; to remove to a distance. To bear down, to overthrow or crush by force. To bear down upon, to make all sail to come up with. To bear hard, to press or urge. To bear on, to press against; also, to incite or animate. To bear out, to give countenance to; to support; to justify. To bear up, to keep afloat. To bear a hand, to make haste, be quick. To bear away, to change the course of a ship, when close- hauled, or sailing with a side wind, and make her run before the wind. To bear down, to drive or tend to. To bear in, to run or tend toward. To bear up, to bear away; to have fortitude; to be firm. To bear against, to approach for attack or seizure. To bear with, to endure what is unpleasing.
Common misspellings for bear:
Google Ngram Viewer results for bear:
This graph shows how "bear" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for bear:
Quotes for bear:
Ignorance and superstition ever bear a close and mathematical relation to each other. - James F. Cooper
Rhymes for bear:
- abair, adair, adaire, affair, alair, allaire, astaire, aware, belair, beware, comair, compare, declare, despair, dispair, ensnare, forswear, impair, mcnair, midair, moliere, montclair, o'hare, pierre, prepare, repair, sinclair, swissair, unfair, voltaire.
- aer, billionaire, debonair, disrepair, doctrinaire, icelandair, javier, millionaire, questionnaire, solitaire, unaware, usair.
- air, baer, bahr, bair, bare, blair, blare, care, chair, cher, clair, claire, clare, dare, darr, derr, err, eyre, fair, faire, fare, fer, ferre, flair, flare, gair, gare, gehr, glare, guerre, hair, hare, hehr, heir, herr, kehr, khmer, lair, lare, lehr, mair, maire, mare, mer, nair, ne'er, pair, pare, pear, prayer, rare, sare, sayre, scare, serr, share, skare, snare, spare, square, stair, stare, swear, tear, terre, their, there, they're, ware, wear, werre, where.
- How to spell bear?
- Correct spelling of bear.
- Spell check bear.
- How do u spell bear?