Definition of day:
- The time of light from sunrise to sunset, called the artificial day; the space of twenty- four hours, commencing with us at twelve o'clock midnight, called the civil day; the period of twenty- four hours, less four minutes, in which the earth makes one complete revolution on its axis, called the siderial day; the interval between the sun being in the meridian, and his return to it, called the solar day; the daylight; the contest of a day; any period of time distinguished from other time; an appointed or fixed time; time of commemorating an event. Day by day, daily: each day in succession. To- day, this day; at present. To win the day, to gain the victory. Day of grace, the time when mercy is offered to sinners. Days of grace, days granted by the court for delay, at the prayer of the plaintiff or defendant. Days of grace, a customary number of days allowed for the payment of a note or bill of exchange, after it becomes due. Day- rule or writ, certificate of permission which the court gives to a prisoner to go beyond the bounds of the prison for the purpose of transacting his business. Day- ticket, a railway or steamboat pass, available for return on the same day. Day in court, a day for the appearance of parties in court. Days in bank, days of appearance in the court of common bench.
Google Ngram Viewer results for day:
This graph shows how "day" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for day:
Quotes for day:
Rhymes for day:
- aaa, attache, bouvier, bta, bua, cabaret, cabernet, cea, chevrolet, dak, disarray, disobey, ekk, faberge, fiance, intraday, ira, ita, jna, lyonnais, monterey, monterrey, overplay, overstay, perrier, piaget, underplay, underway, uva.
- abbe, allay, array, asay, astray, away, b-j, ballet, beauvais, belay, beret, betray, bombay, bouquet, buffet, cache, cafe, calais, carre, cathay, chalet, cliche, convey, crochet, croquet, da, decay, defray, delay, delray, dismay, display, dk, dossier, ek, essay, filet, fillet, ga, gervais, ha, halfway, hervey, hooray, hurray, jose, levey, mackay, macrae, manet, mccrea, mckay, mcveigh, millay, monet, moray, nikkei, nisei, o'shea, obey, oj, okay, olay, ole, orsay, parquet, passe, portray, prepay, puree, purvey, rene, renee, repay, replay, risque, saute, sergei, soiree, sorbet, souffle, survey, today, toupee, valet.
- ae, ay, bay, bey, blay, brae, bray, brey, ca, cay, che, clay, cray, dae, daye, de, dey, dray, drey, fay, faye, fe, fey, flay, fray, frey, gaye, gray, graye, grey, gway, hay, haye, hey, hwe, j, jae, jay, jaye, k, kay, kaye, khe, klay, lait, lay, lei, ley, mae, may, maye, mei, mey, nay, ne, neigh, nej, ney, pay, paye, pei, play, pray, prey, quai, quay, rae, ray, raye, re, rey, say, saye, se, shay, shea, slay, sleigh, spray, sta, stay, stray, sway, sze, tae, tay, they, tray, trey, vey, way, waye, wei, weigh, wey, whey, wray, wy, yay, yea.
- asea, cabriolet, ceta, communique, foia, hiaa, naivete, noaa.
Idioms for day:
- How to spell day?
- Correct spelling of day.
- Spell check day.
- How do u spell day?