Definition of way:
- The timbers on which a ship is launched. To make way, to give room for passing, or to make a vacancy. To give way, to recede; to make room or to yield. To make one's way, to advance in life by efforts. By- the- way, on passant, as we proceed. To go one's way, or to come one's way, to go or come along. In the way, opposing advance. To be under way, to be in motion Milky Way, the galaxy See Galaxy. Ways and means, in legislation, means for raising money. Right of way, right of passing through another's ground.
- A passage; the place of passing; henee, a road of any kind; a highway; a lane; a street; any place for the passing of men, cattle or other animals; length of space; course; route; passage; room for passing; manner or means of doing anything; method; scheme of management; manner of thinking or acting; manner of practice; mode; particular turn of opinion; method or plan of life and conduct; right method of knowing or acting; general scheme of acting: progress.
- land by the road
Way as a boy's name is a variant of Wayland (Old English), and the meaning of Way is "land by the road".
- Jay, Fay.
Google Ngram Viewer results for way:
This graph shows how "way" have occurred between 1800 and 2008 in a corpus of English books.
Examples of usage for way:
Wherever there is room for one object to pass another there is a way. A road ( originally a rideway) is a prepared way for traveling with horses or vehicles, always the latter unless the contrary is expressly stated; a way suitable to be traversed only by foot- passengers or by animals is called a path, bridle- path, or track; as, the roads in that country are mere bridle- paths. A road may be private; a highway or highroad is public, highway being a specific name for a road legally set apart for the use of the public forever; a highway may be over water as well as over land. A route is a line of travel, and may be over many roads. A street is in some center of habitation, as a city, town, or village; when it passes between rows of dwellings the country road becomes the village street. An avenue is a long, broad, and imposing or principal street. Track is a word of wide signification; we speak of a goat- track on a mountain- side, a railroad- track, a race- track, the track of a comet; on a traveled road the line worn by regular passing of hoofs and wheels in either direction is called the track. A passage is between any two objects or lines of enclosure, a pass commonly between mountains. A driveway is within enclosed grounds, as of a private residence. A channel is a waterway. A thoroughfare is a way through; a road or street temporarily or permanently closed at any point ceases for such time to be a thoroughfare. Compare AIR; DIRECTION.
Quotes for way:
Rhymes for way:
- aaa, attache, bouvier, bta, bua, cabaret, cabernet, cea, chevrolet, dak, disarray, disobey, ekk, faberge, fiance, intraday, ira, ita, jna, lyonnais, monterey, monterrey, overplay, overstay, perrier, piaget, underplay, underway, uva.
- abbe, allay, array, asay, astray, away, b-j, ballet, beauvais, belay, beret, betray, bombay, bouquet, buffet, cache, cafe, calais, carre, cathay, chalet, cliche, convey, crochet, croquet, da, decay, defray, delay, delray, dismay, display, dk, dossier, ek, essay, filet, fillet, ga, gervais, ha, halfway, hervey, hooray, hurray, jose, levey, mackay, macrae, manet, mccrea, mckay, mcveigh, millay, monet, moray, nikkei, nisei, o'shea, obey, oj, okay, olay, ole, orsay, parquet, passe, portray, prepay, puree, purvey, rene, renee, repay, replay, risque, saute, sergei, soiree, sorbet, souffle, survey, today, toupee, valet.
- ae, ay, bay, bey, blay, brae, bray, brey, ca, cay, che, clay, cray, dae, day, daye, de, dey, dray, drey, fay, faye, fe, fey, flay, fray, frey, gaye, gray, graye, grey, gway, hay, haye, hey, hwe, j, jae, jay, jaye, k, kay, kaye, khe, klay, lait, lay, lei, ley, mae, may, maye, mei, mey, nay, ne, neigh, nej, ney, pay, paye, pei, play, pray, prey, quai, quay, rae, ray, raye, re, rey, say, saye, se, shay, shea, slay, sleigh, spray, sta, stay, stray, sway, sze, tae, tay, they, tray, trey, vey, waye, wei, weigh, wey, whey, wray, wy, yay, yea.
- asea, cabriolet, ceta, communique, foia, hiaa, naivete, noaa.
- How to spell way?
- Correct spelling of way.
- Spell check way.
- How do u spell way?