Definition of clear:
- Free from what darkens, obscures, or dims; bright; luminous; translucent; transparent; sharply intelligent; lucid; evident; indisputable; serene; irreproachable; free; unembarrassed; unentangled; unshackled; unobstructed; distinctly audible.
- Plainly; quite; completely.
- To make clear; to free from obscurity or ambiguity; to free from obstruction, encumbrance, or nuisance; to remove; to liberate or disengage; to exonerate; to acquit; to profit beyond all expenses and charges; to pass or leap over without touching.
- To become clear, fair, bright, or fine; to be disengaged from encumbrances, distress, or entanglements; to become free or disengaged. To clear off, to depart; to exchange, as in clearing- houses. To clear a ship at the custom- house, to perform the required conditions at the custom- house, and procure a permission to sail. To clear the land, to have open sea- room, without danger of going on shore. To clear a ship for action, to remove every encumbrance from the decks, and prepare to fight.
- The distance between any two bodies where no other intervenes, or between their nearest surfaces.
Common misspellings for clear:
sclear, creal, clrea, cler, cclear, ckear, cllear, cleark, clearl, cealr, clar, claer, cleanr, cleaer, clea, clars, clesr, cear, indepth, cleart, cvlear, cleaar, lear, slear, lclear, cleaqr, clearn, cleanded, crear, clera, clearlier, cleant, cklear, cleara, clearcoat, clerar, deseive, clrear, clearr, clere, cledar, clearcut, cleare, lcear, clead, aclear, clearfie, clearof, clealry, cleer, cleasr, celar, claear, clkear, clearfied, clearish, clewar, cleear, clearm, clearup, cleae.
Google Ngram Viewer results for clear:
Examples of usage for clear:
Clear ( L. clarus, bright, brilliant) primarily refers to that which shines, and impresses the mind through the eye with a sense of luster or splendor. A substance is said to be clear that offers no impediment to vision 8212; is not dim, dark, or obscure. Transparent refers to the medium through which a substance is seen, clear to the substance itself, without reference to anything to be seen through it; we speak of a stream as clear when we think of the water itself; we speak of it as transparent with reference to the ease with which we see the pebbles at the bottom. Clear is also said of that which comes to the senses without dimness, dulness, obstruction, or obscurity, so that there is no uncertainty as to its exact form, character, or meaning, with something of the brightness or brilliancy implied in the primary meaning of the word clear; as, the outlines of the ship were clear against the sky; a clear view; a clear note; " clear as a bell;" a clear, frosty air; a clear sky; a clear statement; hence, the word is used for that which is free from any kind of obstruction; as, a clear field. Lucid and pellucid refer to a shining clearness, as of crystal. A transparent body allows the forms and colors of objects beyond to be seen through it; a translucent body allows light to pass through, but may not permit forms and colors to be distinguished; plate glass is transparent, ground glass is translucent. Limpid refers to a liquid clearness, or that which suggests it; as, limpid streams. That which is distinct is well defined, especially in outline, each part or object standing or seeming apart from any other, not confused, indefinite, or blurred; distinct enunciation enables the hearer to catch every word or vocal sound without perplexity or confusion; a distinct statement is free from indefiniteness or ambiguity; a distinct apprehension of a thought leaves the mind in no doubt or uncertainty regarding it. That is plain, in the sense here considered, which is, as it were, level to the thought, so that one goes straight on without difficulty or hindrance; as, plain language; a plain statement; a clear explanation. Perspicuous is often equivalent to plain, but plain never wholly loses the meaning of unadorned, so that we can say the style is perspicuous tho highly ornate, when we could not call it at once ornate and plain. Compare EVIDENT.
Quotes for clear:
Rhymes for clear:
- adhere, amir, appear, austere, career, cashier, dornier, emir, frontier, inhere, lanier, lazear, premier, premiere, rainier, rehear, revere, sameer, samir, severe, shamir, sincere, unclear, veneer, vizier, wazir, yasir, zahir, zaire.
- auctioneer, bandolier, belvedere, bombardier, brigadier, cavalier, chandelier, charpentier, chevalier, commandeer, disappear, domineer, engineer, financier, gondolier, insincere, interfere, mutineer, overhear, pamphleteer, persevere, pioneer, profiteer, racketeer, reappear, rensselaer, souvenir, volunteer.
- beer, bere, blear, cheer, cleere, cyr, dear, deer, deere, ear, fear, fier, fleer, frere, gear, geer, gere, gier, greer, hear, here, jeer, kear, kier, lear, leer, mear, meir, mere, mir, near, neer, nir, peer, pier, rear, sear, sere, shear, sheer, shere, smear, sneer, spear, speer, speir, sphere, stear, steer, tear, teer, veer, vere, we're, wier, year.
- conventioneer, electioneer, reengineer.
- How to spell clear?
- Correct spelling of clear.
- Spell check clear.
- How do u spell clear?