Definition of commission:
- In insurance the amount paid to an agent who secures, or places the policy; when it is a percentage on the first premium, it is called a brokerage; when it is a smaller percentage of a stipulated number of subsequent commissions, it is called a renewal commission.
- The act of committing; the act of perpetrating; the act of entrusting; the thing entrusted or committed; power and authority given; a writing from proper authority, given to a person as his warrant for exercising certain powers, or the performance of any duty; a number of persons joined in an office or trust; the state of acting under authority in the purchase and sale of goods for another; allowance made to a factor, commission merchant, or other agent, for transacting business.
- To authorize; to give a commission to. To put a ship into commission, in the navy, to man and equip it for service. To put the great seal into commission, to place it in the hands of commissioners during the period that intervenes between the going out of one lord keeper and the accession of another. See Commit.
Common misspellings for commission:
commissiong, coiommission, commisstion, commissiom, commitions, commisions, commision, comminision, commissionn, ommision, comision, commion, commisssion, cimmission, commisoning, commissioin, commisson, commosion, commisison, commitison, commisiion, comission, comm, commishion, commissoin, commsision, ommission, comissino, commsion, commsiion, commistion, commisision, commssion, commmission, comisson, comession, commossion, commisoned, commisiona, commissioing, cmmission, comition, commissing, commussion, sommission, commishen, commsission, commition, curcumstance, comissions, comminsion, commiossind, commishon, dommission, commession, commissio, commissin, commison, comishion, commmision, commissiont, commissiion, comissionable, commisioned, conission, comisions, comisiion, commish, commissionat, commesion.
Google Ngram Viewer results for commission:
Examples of usage for commission:
Quotes for commission:
Another cause of change, one less noticeable but fundamental, is the modern growth of population closely connected with scientific and medical discoveries. It is interesting that the United Nations has set up a special Commission to study this question. - Emily Greene Balch
The Election Assistance Commission represents a major, unprecedented commitment from the federal government to sustained freedom and vibrant democracy. I am humbled by the prospect of being one its charter members. - DeForest Soaries
Rhymes for commission:
- abolition, acquisition, admonition, ammunition, apparition, coalition, competition, composition, decommission, definition, demolition, deposition, dietitian, disposition, electrician, erudition, exhibition, expedition, exposition, extradition, imposition, inhibition, inquisition, intermission, intuition, malnutrition, obstetrician, opposition, politician, precondition, preignition, premonition, prohibition, proposition, recognition, recondition, repetition, reposition, requisition, retransmission, rhetorician, statistician, superstition, supposition.
- academician, decomposition, geriatrician, juxtaposition, mathematician, pediatrician, predisposition, presupposition, redefinition, redeposition, reimposition, theoretician.
- addition, admission, ambition, attrition, audition, clinician, cognition, condition, contrition, dentition, edition, emission, fruition, ignition, logician, magician, mortician, munition, musician, nutrition, omission, optician, partition, patrician, permission, petition, physician, position, recission, remission, rendition, sedition, submission, suspicion, tactician, technician, tradition, transition, transmission, tuition, volition.
- fission, mission, titian.
Idioms for commission:
out of commission
- How to spell commission?
- Correct spelling of commission.
- Spell check commission.
- How do u spell commission?